A Glance- Past, Present And Future


I always believe that the secret of life long happiness is never letting the Kid in you die. But when I see my younger cousins (some10-15 years younger), I envy them thinking they are provided with a lot more facilities then us as kids. I mean they have television sets (with 24 hour cartoon networks), computers, lappys, mobiles, play stations etc etc etc…. (may be it is need of the hour).

My mind instantly scrutinized what of this I had when I was a kid- computer, mobile… Impossible!!!! Yup I had a B/W television set and I eagerly waited for Sundays to watch cartoons (Mogli- jungle book that came at 10 am in morning) ha... ha…!!!

Finding the differences very vast, I started conversing with my mind that within the span of hardly 10-15 years- children in my own family have completely altered life style.

With this thought I went ahead in finding other differences like pile of cloths, regular visits to hotels and many more. I feel these children are so pampered and secured that they have never faced sun, wind, dust and rain in life. My mind also pointed out that they are provided with much exciting work books in school while we studied from our old uninteresting text books.

Unknowingly my mind was preparing a list of things that I will have to provide to my kids in coming years (ok you have agree that I’m 24 years old and at this age a gal’s mind grows a little motherly).

During this course sepia tone thoughts (flash back of my childhood) appeared in front of my eyes. Than I was a free bird, less burdened for studies and ranks by my parents, creating games playing whole day long. I guess we were more innocent towards life and emotions so what they were no material facilities, I had all the comforts.


Coming back to reality i thought this computer glued current generation will never know the smiles we shared with friends when we got drenched in pouring rains while playing on road side mud.

Sepia tone thought: I still remember playing in streets, falling down, solving my problems without parental guidance sometimes indulging in fights and again befriending the temporary enemy and always managing to survive with bruised knees n elbows and time-being traumas. But then we were treated just as kids with no interference in family or monitory affairs often punished for our mistakes.


When I returned to current situation I thought today’s kids have free access to all the matters (social, psychological, financial, sexual) that I think don’t even concern them.

My mind inferred that:
“Vrush, your parents never handicapped you with material comforts, they let you free- they let you fall to grow much stronger and healthier as a person.”

I certainly agree to the fact that today’s kids are much smarter and well equipped with knowledge of all the fields than we were at their age but I fear they have grown cold with their approach towards life at a very younger age (a matter of greater concern).
Mind again interfered my thoughts putting forth the completed list and said- “you have to work hard to buy your kids all the comforts (corrected itself and said material comforts) in the world.

I Shushed!! my mind and thought that I m burdened with more important task of keeping my children tech savvy and updated yet preserving their innocence, comforting them with latest requirements yet helping grow sensible for real life’s ride.

Today was a like an eye-opening session for me. It was like a window from present to past and future. It is quite clear that: “I don’t want the kid in me die but it’s equally important that the kid never walks with the clutches of electronic toys”.

And i finally remembered the words of Mr. Albert Einstain "The distinction between past, present and future is only stubbornly persistant illusion".

Comments

kurlykactus said…
nicely written.....good thought
kurlykactus said…
nicely written.....good thought
1click said…
hey,
wow so true.... loved it!!!
Poornima said…
Hey...Vrush, good thoughts!!!!!!!!!